Friday, January 23, 2009

A Recipe

Gastronomical experiments of many a blogger leave me drooling these days, thanks to the high resolution pictures of dishes they post. Here I offer one, but of an entirely different kind and without any pictures. This is not an original recipe; I had heard and read about it. But only recently I got a ‘hands-on’ experience of it. Those with a ‘spiritual’ streak in them may find it useful, those who keep the opinion that “alcohol is evil”, please don’t bother to go any further.

Allegiance to rum, especially Old Monk Rum is a prerequisite to taste the ‘Green chilly-lemon-salt-OMR’.

Ingredients: Old Monk Rum, Green Chilly (preferably the smaller ones known as ‘Kanthari’, as per the legend) Lemon and Salt. Considering the non-availability of ‘kanthari’, I used normal green chilly.

How to make the drink: Squeeze a bit of lemon in the glass and make it reach the whole of the inside. Rub salt on it and put a pinch of salt in the bottom of the glass too. Cut green chilly horizontally into two and put it in the glass. Pour rum and chilled soda on it. The drink is ready.

It’s better to wait for a while. If you raise the drink immediately the piquant spray generated by the fizzy carbonated water may make you sneeze. And before you sip, enjoy the heavenly aroma. When I took the first sip, what surprised me was the pleasant taste but without ruining the original flavour of rum. As I gulped down the last drop of the mouthful, the real taste of rum came back. I guess even the purists wouldn’t have much to complain about ‘Green chilly-lemon-salt-OMR’. It’s simply superb. After all, rum will sure taste better this way than it with coke or any such damned drinks. Have a great time.

3 comments:

Bindhu Unny said...

Should've given a photo as well. I can't try it out as OMR is too much for me. :-)

mixedblessings89 said...

Lol, it's must be an Indian habit- or a subcontinental one, at the least- to try and spice up everything we wish to put into our mouths! :D

mixedblessings89 said...

You've been tagged.

Powered By Blogger