Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Black Sheep

He loomed large over me
Since childhood; the black
Sheep in the family.

‘He looks exactly like ………,
Look at his nose, eyes…’
They used to say, the women
From the neighbourhood
Causing greater worries
To mother and aunt which
Subsequently changed
To anxious stares, filling
Me with tremendous guilt.

I loathed the said similarities
And did everything I could
To overcome his shadow.
I picked up habits which he
Didn’t seem to have and
Groomed myself as different
As possible trying to shun
Even a distant possible similarity.

But I found him the other day,
The black sheep in the family
In the mirror, giving me a cold stare
Goosebumps and a sense of futility.

6 comments:

Balachandran V said...

Superb!If it wouldn't seem patronizing, let me say that you are maturing as a poet. As the inward journey accelerates and the vision sharpens - boy! You are going to have real fun, writing! :)

Accept the way you are, and you will be free of guilt and troubled mind. You will enjoy being yourself.
Great going, Arun!

anilkurup59 said...

"Mirror mirror on the wall...."
And mirror will not lie. Beautifully crafted. Is it a self introspection. Quite a powerful idea indeed. I liked it much

kaalpanique said...

lovely. i sense a dark shade in ure poetry. a little unnerving... sometimes its this darkness that brings out the best...

P. Venugopal said...

beautiful!!!
we always want to be someone else but we cannot escape what we are!
i liked your craft in telling it with impact.

Sumi Mathai said...

write it out, Arun! :)

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Balan Sir: Not at all sir, I mean patronizing. And thanks a ton.

A.K. Thanks for the kind words.

Kalpana: Thanks. I agree 100% that it’s the darkness that brings out the best…

Venu Chettan: Thank you very much.

Sumi: Yes, that’s the way.

Powered By Blogger