Friday, February 18, 2011

Here I go, alone!

‘Cheers’, I shout
‘Cheers’ they echo;
My beloved friends.

Drunken revelry,
The unfathomable
Depths of friendship,
‘Count on me, buddy’
Promises, terrific bonding,
Silly misunderstandings,
Tearful reunions…

And at last, a farewell
Quite unsuitable for the
Boisterous life I lead, but
Truly complementing the
Indifferent coldness of a hospital
And the complex mess of wires
And tubes that surrounds me
In solemn attendance,
Adieu friends, here I go, alone!

6 comments:

kaalpanique said...

no boisterous farewell for the last journey. how true. loved it.

anilkurup59 said...

The end- it reminded me of the movie " All that Jazz". Arun watch it if you haven't yet seen.

P. Venugopal said...

beautiful poem, Arun. but i have seen my father taking his sense of humour to the final moment in the hospital bed. i was too young to understand the dimension of that quality then.

Balachandran V said...

Terrific, Arun! But then, it needn't necessarily happen there, you know. How about the top of a snow-clad mountain and slowly freezing away?

Balachandran V said...

Last week a friend of mine died. He was a Conservator of Forests. He died with a massive cardiac arrest while boozing with his friends; now, how about that?

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Kalpana: Yes, when the call comes one leaves, all alone!

AK: I haven’t, I will sure get it, thanks!

Venu Chettan: Sorry to hear that. The news of the death of my former CD/Boss a couple of days ago made me write it.

Balan Sir: As I’ve already mentioned, I was responding to the death of my former CD/Boss. Though I was not present at the hospital, my friend had called just 1 hour prior to the death saying that there was no hope; it was multiple organ failure.

Powered By Blogger