Monday, October 6, 2008

A Letdown

I had respect for Dr. Manmohan Singh despite having nothing to do with his political leanings. I thought it would do wonders to a nation to have such personalities at the helm of affairs. A well-educated person gentle in words and deeds, he seemed to have something quintessential in him that stood apart so strikingly because of its apparent absence in a majority of our political leaders. Now, sadly, all had gone. Singh is no more king, at least for me. Brethren, if you are wondering what am I arriving at, I just want o ask you a single question. How did you find Dr. Singh’s words to U.S. President: “People of India deeply love you,”? “Normally not given to loquaciousness” that’s how ‘The Hindu’ describes the Prime Minister. Then what might’ve prompted him to utter that? I find it kind of a gross remark and totally uncalled for. When some one of Dr. Singh’s stature makes such a statement it’s applicable to all Indians including you and me. On our behalf he said it. I am one among ‘the people of India’. I don’t love Mr. Bush, I hate him neither. (You know, my hatred is precious for me.) I regard him as an inevitable error bestowed upon humanity, the kind that happens at times. He had blood on his hands, blood of innocent children, women, youth…Do you think that Dr. Singh’s statement or the absence of it would have had any impact on 123? Or is it that Dr. Singh completely swept over by the hospitality and charm of Mr. Bush? No matter whatever, it was a letdown, a blatant one for that matter.

8 comments:

mea culpa said...

@Arun
Totally Totally Agree...

And I loved that Non-Violence campain.

mea culpa said...

I am not fully recovered... i still have to use the normal bandage. But now I can manage myself inside the room.

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Thanks Mea, thanks a lot. Take care get well soon, won't be in blogosphere for a couple of days. Off to Bangalore. Ciao.

Anonymous said...

Hi ,

I was reading ur blog posts and found some of them to be very good.. u write well.. Why don't you popularize it more.. ur posts on ur blog ‘dark alley’ took my particular attention as some of them are interesting topics of mine too;

BTW I help out some ex-IIMA guys who with another batch mate run www.rambhai.com where you can post links to your most loved blog-posts. Rambhai was the chaiwala at IIMA and it is a site where users can themselves share links to blog posts etc and other can find and vote on them. The best make it to the homepage!

This way you can reach out to rambhai readers some of whom could become your ardent fans.. who knows.. :)

Cheers,

mixedblessings89 said...

Hmm.. yes, it was more that a little stupid, to tell you the truth.

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

@ray: Yup, let me see what i can do in this regard. Thanks for the visit and the suggestion.

@MB89: Yup, I agree not to disagree...Thanks.

The one who has loved and lost said...

"Do you think that Dr. Singh’s statement or the absence of it would have had any impact on 123?"

A good question , although the answer is obviously NO. Hundreds of policy makers rake their brains to achieve/stall the fulfillment of the deal not to mention the deal having to pass through the US Congress.

I look at it this way.
It was maybe a casual remark. Of course representatives of a nation are not allowed to make such casual remarks.

However I still don't understand why Manmohan Singh had to say it, of he did say it.

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

"I look at it this way.
It was maybe a casual remark."

Layman thanks for the visit and comment. Nopes, it was not a casual remark. Dr.Singh had been showering praise on Mr.Bush through out the evening about how he helped India to progress and all. If it was someone who took politics as his last refuge I wouldn't have bothered at all. I got hurt by that remark and for me it was a real letdown.

Powered By Blogger