Friday, November 6, 2009

Fragmented thoughts of a demented soul

“Nothing happens, nobody comes, no body goes, it’s awful”, perhaps one of the best lines that captures ennui in all its horror. I’m tired of the way things go; I’m tired of my ways of thinking. So stale it has become that nothing fresh comes out. ‘Take a break and wander’ says someone from deep inside. Nopes, too lazy to do that. I no longer believe in lasting happiness provided by others. Perhaps I’m too proud to admit that someone can just shatter me by their indifference, insensitive behaviour or lack of concern.

There was a time moods got changed so drastically that I used to think that I had bipolar disorder. Even now, sometimes I burst with energy and experience ecstasy. Despair no longer shakes me the way it used to. Even drinking has become kind of boring. It would’ve been great to sip rum sitting alone in a corner of my favourite watering hole after the end of a hectic week. But when there’s a slump I prefer to drink to overcome boredom. Now the routine itself has become boring.


“Suicide is an act of man and not of the animal. It’s a meditated act, a non-instinctive unnatural choice” says Italo Calvino. There was a time I walked around scattering such ‘borrowed wisdom.’ No longer. Even the other day I came across with that; my colleague’s husband. He didn’t wait for the bell to toll for him. Four pegs of Royal Stag Whiskey that night, an effort to shrug off the pall of gloom or my excuse to get drunk? No idea. And that person was sitting nearby, the one who is obsessed with the phrase ‘at the end of the day’. Last time he was sitting next to my table and was peppering each of his sentences with an ‘at the end of the day’ in his yellow voice. But fortunately, this time I was at a safe distance. Life teaches, life is the ultimate teacher. Across continents, decades back, in a certain market place a teenager named Florentino Ariza stalked Fermina Daza wondering why no one else’s heart fluttered the way his did at the sight of her. Oh! My…


I had thought myself as an existential hero on the lines of many Malayalam novels that herald modernism and which I devoured religiously as a teenager. Once, while talking, a friend opined how fortunate he was to have read ‘Catcher in the Rye’ and ‘The Fountainhead’ quite late in life. ‘Otherwise they would’ve fucked up my brain and ruined my life irreparably’, quipped he.


I’ve things to do. But I’m terribly de-motivated at the moment. Laziness bogs me down. Books get piled upon my table with ‘A House for Mr.Biswas’ being the latest. How much I longed, how eager I was to finish anything and everything by Naipaul as I was taken to ‘A Bend in the River’ just like the proverbial duck to water, a few months back. “THE WORLD IS WHAT IT IS.” What an opening line! And that promptly ushered me in. Hopeless romantics lay your hands on it if you haven’t yet, you may get cured. Naipaul, they say, has a cynical worldview. I think it needs to be changed slightly, to clinical. ‘The past doesn’t exist. It’s not an entity; it’s just your memories. Trample upon your past.’ That’s Indar’s advice to Salim. Can’t help thinking of Osho.

What’s it that I’m trying to do by putting it across the blogosphere risking ridicule? What it’s all about? Some may attribute it to inflated ego, psychic disorder, lethargy… ‘How fragile’, some may exclaim. Perhaps one or two may find it even interesting.

Today, as I was coming down from the third floor after having breakfast, the lift, yes the same ‘male lift’, closed in with a “tupa-tupa” as soon as I entered, yes, the very first sound one hears at the beginning of the song ‘buffalo soldiers.’


I know where happiness lies. But knowing alone doesn’t help. Perseverance is the key, the willingness to stretch oneself beyond. “Overcome thyself”, urges Nietzsche. But there are black holes, trying to gobble me down. “It’s no small art to sleep: it’s necessary for that purpose to keep awake all day.” I walk around during day time half asleep, pretending to work, and lose sleep at night, during those unearthly hours. Sometimes it’s
dreams that intrigue me. Indecipherable and unexplainable are they. Of the dream I had last night a name remains, ‘Kuppan Paappan’. I don’t know who’s that. It was a part of the sentence written on a wall in Malayalam that means “doesn’t Kuppan Paappan know that everyone will die”?

It’s one of my wishes to hover down on a feminist while she reads ‘Zorba the Greek.’ It will be great to watch her expressions change without batting an eyelid. When I said this to the friend who consider himself fortunate for not having read ‘Catcher…and ‘The Fountain… early in life he nodded in agreement with great interest. But all he wanted was to know their opinion, scrutinizing facial expressions he didn’t seem to believe in. Sane he is, I guess.

I used to smoke a lot. At one point in time I smoked two packets ‘wills’ a day. It had its toll on me, later. Still, I smoked occasionally. But nowadays, it’s come to an end, forever, I think. Zorba’s father, ‘who smoked like a chimney’ stopped it instantly annoyed at his annoyance for forgetting to take tobacco to work. It was then I saw someone overcoming himself with such great conviction.


Change, I need it so badly. It’s killing me slowly, this predictable cycle, my animal like existence. I need to get back to life with a lot of energy. I need to take myself beyond the ‘killing zones of comfort.’ Silence is golden; I’m talking about the silence one feels in one’s mind. A total absence of clamour. But often my mind is a battlefield “where ignorant armies clash by night”. And hence I know how precious it’s to have a calm, balanced mind. For sometimes, though rarely, I reach that blissful state.

12 comments:

P. Venugopal said...

Its quite all right, Arun. I know the symptoms. Come down to Trivandrum one of these days and let us sit down and talk over a pint of rum, or whichever brew you prefer. There is no hurry. In the meantime, I want you to buy a copy of 'Krishnamurti's Notebook' and read just three-four pages a day, not more than that.

Unknown said...

When nobody comes, nobody goes and nothing happens, yes, it is terrible! It used to be so before Beckett wrote it, it will continue to be so forever. Arun, the trick, I guess, is to make sure somebody comes, and somebody goes and therefore, something happens. And I am sure you know how to figure out who could come and who could go. Try to find that through the silence you feel within. And, do you ever come to Bangalore? If you do, call me at 99 80 54 671. It would be great if you can text me before you call, since I tend to miss a lot of calls, especially unknown numbers. And, let me reiterate, you write so fucking well; I am thoroughly impressed! You may be just wasted in advertising : )

Unknown said...

Oops! My phone number needs to be corrected: 99 800 54 671

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Venu Chettan: I’m just…, you’ve touched a chord. I’m extremely sorry for the delay in reply. Yup indeed we will sit and talk over a bottle of , what else, but the good old monk rum. Is it available in Kerala? I don’t think so. I worked for an Ad Agency in Trivandrum called ‘Chrysalis’, it was in Vazhthacaud near Geethanjali Hospital, but only for two days. Trivandrum, to me, seemed like a place at the end of the earth and I felt so gloomy there and fled within two days; that was in 2007 January. Yes, I am gonna get a copy of Krishnamurthi’s Notebook. I’ll leave for Bangalore tonight and I hope I’ll get it there. It’s available online, but you know reading a book holding it in your hands and reading it online are entirely different things. Once again thanks a lot for that gesture.

John: Thanks a lot for the kind words, I’m more than honoured. Number copied, and yes I’m leaving for Bangalore tonight. Once I reach there I’ll text you and call. Sorry for the delay and not letting you about the visit earlier. Only yesterday evening I could confirm it.

P. Venugopal said...

I was wondering what was going on. When one writes about fragmented thoughts and goes missing, that means, in my case, going on a binge somewhere and returning home with a bad headache. We wild young men are like that, aren't we?
Old monks are no problem. I can bring them to Kerala too if you give me one day's notice. Big influence in certain circles.

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Indeed. I can take a bottle of OMR from here, it's no problem at all. I regularly cross the border (to Kasargod to drink with my friends there)with it. In case if you prefer the spiced up version you please get some good, home grown 'kaanthari.'

P. Venugopal said...

Done! Phone me up a day early for me to come with 'kanthari.' (098473-68819).

kaalpanique said...

Are you an aquarian? I am and i feel that at times though i couldnt put it as wonderfully as you did!!! i normally avoid long posts.. short of time. but couldnt stop reading that..

Bindhu Unny said...

Looks like all the confusion gets cleared with a bottle of OMR. :)

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Venu Chettan: Agreed.

Kaalpanique: I’m a Leo. Thanks a lot for the kind words. You can, you did.

Bindu Chechi: Of course. Haven’t you read my Manifesto titled ‘The Joy of Drinking’? It concludes with these lines: “Alcohol lovers of the world unite. You have nothing to lose but your consciousness. (Though pathetically transitory)”

http://aruns-darkalley.blogspot.com/2007/08/joy-of-drinking.html

sujata sengupta said...

such is life isnt it, at times I wish it was anything even stressful than boring, because a mundane existence is the toughest challenge for me, i need to be in the centre of action even if the action is a storm! hope you are feeling better now, am sorry for being late

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

Sujataji: Nice to see you back after a long time, yup i feel a lot better for change is in the offing. Thanks a lot. It's alright.

Powered By Blogger