Thursday, November 18, 2010

Nocturnal conversations, overheard

Last night
As I tossed and
Turned in bed since
Sleep had deprived me of her luxuries
I overheard conversations from my bookshelf.

Dr.Ayyappa Paniker was asking Gregor Samsa,
“What trick is this?*” and chuckled, quite satisfied.
Harold Bloom was consoling an attention seeking Naipaul
While Anne Frank gleefully joined the man who shouted "Teresa."



* I’ve heard several stories about the late Dr. Ayyappa Panicker’s humour sense and ready wit. One of them was his asking his student Patrick while giving him a helping hand, ‘Patrick what trick is this?’, when the latter tripped over.

3 comments:

anilkurup59 said...

A new version of peeping Tom ha ha .
That apart I liked the idea of the conversations from the book shelf. That was tricky thought and good.

Balachandran V said...

The conversation among books is a great idea with great opportunities for fantasizing!

Though not a student of Ayyappa Panicker, I had the fortune to listen to many of his talks, peppered liberally with jokes!

Arun Meethale Chirakkal said...

AK: I was lying there on my bed praying for sleep
And I overheard the conversations.
Is it a crime to overhear conversations accidentally? :) THANKS!

Balan Sir: Yes Sir, I agree. But I’m not sure whether I conveyed it properly. THANKS!

Powered By Blogger